Here are some nuggets of wisdom from Writers Boot Camp:
FOUR KEY DEVELOPMENT COMPONENTS:
- Scene Crafting
FIVE KEY STORY COMPONENTS:
- Main Character
- Dynamic Character (eg buddy)
- Opponent (antagonist)
- Adventure (events, plot)
- Genre (emotion, arena)
TWO KEY REWRITE COMPONENTS:
CONCEPT – This refers to the story. Try to add at least a third new material with each draft, otherwise you’re just tweaking.
SCENE WORK – This is what spices up your screenplay.
- Consider different locations. Perhaps exchange a cafe scene for a craft store.
- Add a sweetness to bad behavior eg. charmingly rude
- Add an additional layer to character interactions.
- Modify the unique sources of action such as a perfect superhero versus an alcoholic one
- Fresh take on a paradigm; eg romantic comedy between a person and alien
- Add a twist
- Alter typical relationship dynamics such as father and son crime team.
- Remove linear, on the nose dialogue
- Don’t interrupt dialogue with choreography.