Words of wisdom from BOSI.
1) Be prepared to meet always-questioning, confused investors/executives. Many times folks with lots of loot, power, and influence aren’t the most creative people. So help them get inside your brain. Put together storyboards, have drawings, play music, do a puppet show, anything. Well, maybe not a puppet show.
2) Be tenacious. In order to get the meeting, you need to hit up everyone you know and even more people you don’t. Call them.
3) Meet the right people. You should know before you start knocking on doors who the most likely targets are. What network would put your idea on TV? What studio makes like-minded movies? What investor has put money into these types of projects?
4) Be confident but don’t be arrogant. If you’re gracious and open, even if they say no, they will keep you in mind for other projects.
5) Be ready for them to say no. Rejection is a good thing. It’ll toughen you up.
6) Listen to their feedback. Execs may not be the most creative bunch, but their input might actually make your idea better. Still, this isn’t always true.
7) Don’t give upon your dream. If this is what you want to be doing with your life, then suck it up and be prepared to fail, but do everything you can to succeed.